New or replacement street lighting
If you feel that street lighting needs to be upgraded or installed in your road, you should write to the Street Lighting Manager, Halkyn Depot, Fulbrook Buildings, Halkyn, Holywell, Flintshire CH8 8BY. Your request will be assessed to determine if it meets the criteria for new or improved lighting.
Column replacement programme
There is an annual rolling programme designed to identify and replace lighting columns or assets (within Flintshire County Councils remit) that are shown to be unsound and unsafe.
Criteria for replacement are:
- Old, deteriorated and cracking columns at the end of their design life
- Corroded metal columns
- Incorrect spacing of existing columns
- Sub standard electrical systems
- Out dated scheme designs
- Incorrect and ineffective lighting levels
- Column styles or heights
- Energy savings
We will achieve the upgrading and renewals (within budgetary constraints) by:
- Undertaking any replacement / refurbishment of systems to current standards
- Using the correct lighting sources for the correct locations
- Considering localised dark spots for improvement
- Considering Community and Police safety schemes
Installing new lighting
Street lighting may be installed as a safety measure on roads where there is a need to reduce night time accidents and in accordance with other traffic safety requirements.
New or improved street lighting may be installed in those problem areas prioritised by the crime and disorder partnerships.
Street lighting is installed on new housing estates where the streets (or footpaths) are to be adopted by Flintshire County Council. Developers will have to install lighting in accordance with our requirements and are responsible for all maintenance until formal adoption by the authority takes place. This occurs only after a thorough inspection by one of our street lighting coordinators.
Design Specification for Street Lighting and Illuminated Signs(document will open in a new window, PDF 120Kb) (for developers, designers and contractors)