Supporting Independent Living
Flintshire County Council wants to support people to stay independent in their own homes and social services can give you information and advice on how best to do that whatever your financial situation. Many people assume that they will need residential care as they get older but, with support, may be able to continue living at home. There are many services to help you to retain your ability to manage more independently such as reablement services, or equipment or adaptations to your home. These services are often free of charge and can be accessed through social services.
You may also wish to consider Extra Care Housing. This is for older people and provides state of the art supported accommodation to help people to live independently for as long as they possibly can.
Flintshire Social Services publishes a List of Care Homes.
There are three care homes owned and run by the Council:
- Marleyfield, Nant Mawr Road, Buckley, CH7 2BL. Telephone 01244 548813
- Croes Atti, Flint, Prince of Wales Avenue, CH6 5JU. Telephone 01352 733598.
- Llys Gwenffrwd, Brynford Street, Holywell, CH8 7RA. Telephone 01352 713338.
Care homes in Wales are registered with the Care Inspectorate Wales.
The Welsh Government have produced an information booklet to help you decide if a Care Home is suitable for you. For further information, please view Thinking About A Care Home.
You may be able to receive financial support towards your care if you are assessed by a social worker as needing residential or nursing care. See our factsheets on ‘Paying for Residential Care’ and Information for Self funders. Homes in England are registered by the Care Quality Commission.
Care Home Welcome Pack
Moving to a new home can be an anxious time. To help with a smooth transition, everyone who becomes resident in a Care Home in Flintshire will receive a ‘Welcome Pack’.
The pack aims to provide you with information to help you have as much choice and control in your life and over your support as possible.
The pack will contain:
- Information on your rights and entitlements
- Details of staff at the Home
- Information on the person- centred practices used at the Home, like the ‘one-page profile template’. These will help you tell other what’s important to you and how to work with you best.
- Contact details of other useful services to help you stay happy and well.
Please feel free to download an example copy of the Welcome Pack.
If you have any general feedback to give, positive or negative, please contact Flintshire Social Services on 01352 702672 or email email@example.com